2025 PSTN and ISDN Switch Off
What is the PSTN and ISDN Switch Off?
The traditional telephony network, the Public Switch Telephone Network (PSTN), will reach the end of life in December 2025, meaning the network will be switched off and services will no longer be supported.
The PSTN also supports the Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) which is the network that supports broadband, allowing both voice and data services to be delivered over digital lines simultaneously. This will also be switched off, meaning you will need to look into alternative broadband services as well as voice.
What is affected by the switch off?
In addition to the telephony products affected by the withdrawal of the PSTN, a number of connectivity services will also be withdrawn, including Asymmetrical Digital Subscriber Lines (ADSL) and Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) broadband.
This is because the underlying line product is being withdrawn, therefore there is no underlying telephone service to support the broadband.
Does this effect me?
If you are still using a traditional landline and or haven’t changed your broadband recently from FTTC/ADSL you are effected by this. If you are unsure ask your broadband provider or a recent bill. If it says FTTC or ADSL or you are paying per call you are on PSTN/ISDN and should look at moving in the near future.
If you do not move you will be looking a reduced service and paying more for the same service.
What are the benfits of upgrading to non-pstn/isdn sERVICES
Here is a quick list of benfits or why you should move sooner rather than later;
- Cheaper calls
- Flexible phone system
- Easily customisable
- Intergation with modem systems
- No physical handset required, can use your smartphone or desktop
- Global phonebook
- Can keep existing numbers
- Easy change and get new numbers
- 30 Day contract or 3 Years lease for hardware at very reasonable prices
- Better speeds
- No reducation in service unlike old service which will have a reducation until they are disconnected in 2025
- Same cost/cheaper with a much better responsive time from Openreach
- Can be installed along side existing line with little or no interpulation
- 30 Day contract for broadband
I am sold what next?
Contact us and we can send you a quote or look at some our infomation on our website about VOIP and broadband.